Bed bugs are among the elusive and mysterious pests that people find it hard to understand. Despite the cleanliness of the hotel, bed bugs still find their way in no matter the best efforts. Bed bugs infestation to hotels results in many misconceptions among people. Among these allusions is that bed bugs only occur in unkempt and cheap roadside hotels or motels. Many hotel owners believe that since their hotel is clean, they are safe from bed bugs infestation, but the truth is that bed bugs don’t discriminate where to infest. The same way they will infest a roadside motel at ease, the same way they will do to a five-star hotel. This article decodes the mystery of bedbugs in hotels. Have a look!
How do hotels get bed bugs infestation?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, bed bugs infestation isn’t determined by the cleanliness of any accommodation; therefore, every house can be a nesting place for bedbugs. This quotation devalues the claims made concerning the cause of bed bugs in hotels.
Recommended Read: Where Do Bed Bugs Hide During the Day?
Since bedbugs mostly rely on hitch rides in people’s clothes or belonging, don’t be surprised to find bedbugs in your hotel. The frequent visit of guests can also be the cause of the bedbugs infestation in your hotel. Bed bugs embed themselves to the clothes of the visitors, and once they visit your hotel, they crawl to the furniture, bedding and that way, your hotel will be at risk of having bugs infestation. If one female bedbug finds a safe and new nesting in your hotel, it initiates infestation onset. She lays three to six eggs a day, and once they hatch, multiplication starts.
Therefore, no matter how clean your hotel is, bedbugs will find their way in through hitch rides from the visitors to your hotel. However, bugs can spread through housekeeping carts, wall sockets from nearby residences to your hotel room.
Where to spot bedbugs in hotels
Spotting bed bugs is difficult because they are a nocturnal pest. In most hotels, the owners justified since their customers haven’t complained and reported bugs, they aren’t there. Although the housekeeping staff changes the bedding daily, it doesn’t help in spotting bed bugs. However, a keen and necessary inspection of places like bed-stand posts, mattresses, crevices on the bed, or even wall cracks near the bed will help in spotting bed bugs. Therefore a necessary examination of the room will assist in detecting these nocturnal pests quickly.
Recommended Read: What Do Bed Bugs Look Like on Sheets
If necessary inspection won’t solve your suspicious doubts, in-depth investigation is recommendable. A comprehensive examination is essential to inspect along the edges, seams, box springs, mattress ribbons, furniture, behind framed pictures, screw holes, joints, drawers, among other items present in the room. These are the preferable nesting zones for bedbugs. It is wise to inspect one object to another.
While inspecting, please pay attention to suspicious pests, blood on the areas examining, signs of crushed bugs like shells or crushed bugs while sleeping, bed bug dropping, white eggs, or even the bedbugs themselves. If you notice these signs, then rest be assured of bed bugs infestation in the hotel, therefore, notify the management for immediate action.
What you should do if you find your hotel room as bed bugs
Experience with bedbugs causes embarrassment to many people; thus, upon booking are room, and you suspect actual bugs, or not, there are things you should do. They are
- Notify the housekeeping staff. If evidence is required, you can take photos of bites on your body or bloodstains on the bedding.
- Trap the bugs if visible using a plastic bag and report to the booking urgency which he/she should present it to the management as evidence, once they validate its real demand your money back or room reallocation.
- To avoid providing a hitch ride of bedbugs to your home, put your clothes in a plastic bag, and seal it. Also, don’t place your clothes in the suspected areas and mostly on the bed.
- The hotel housekeeping staff should come and see the infestation and plan how to get rid of the pests since they will scare most of their customers, thus ruining their business.
How to get rid of bed bugs in hotels
Regular inspection and bed bug pesticide control spray.
Room preparation to reduce clutter, this helps reduce the hiding places and heat that vital for bedbug survival. Also, ensure that the windows are completely shut to seal the heat in the room.
Heat treatment. Put the temperature of the heater too high about 1060 around the bed. Also, pointing top speedy fans on the suspected areas as they increase heat circulation raising to 1210 for bugs to sustain. After heat treatment, apply the residual spray.
How to avoid taking the bedbugs to your home?
This is an increasingly and brainstorming question raised by travelers and nightmares for the hotel industry. Does the query result from how a nice hotel can have bedbugs? Below are the tips to protect yourself from bugs infestation from the hotel encounter.
- Don’t panic since not everyone will take bedbugs home after staying in a bedbug-infested room. Have an assumption that you picked up a stray bed bug or two. It is possible to pick up bed bugs by placing luggage on or next to the bed; therefore, if you didn’t put your bags close to the bed, the risk is lower. Keeping your belongings away increases your safety.
- After arriving home, keep your luggage on an outdoor porch or in the garage. Subject the washable items to hot water, preferably at high temperatures for at least 30 minutes; this kills both the available bedbugs and their eggs. Clothes that cannot sustain hot water sent them to dry cleaners.
- Non-washable items like shoes, toiletries, suitcase, among others, should be kept isolated outdoors. They can be placed in the hot sun to kill any of the present bedbugs. Also, the freezer can be the best solution to use. To use the freezing mechanism, raise the temperatures to 1200 and leave them for at least an hour.
Despite the efforts, made bedbugs can still find their way into your home.
In conclusion, the cleanliness or high standard of your hotel can not prevent bed bugs infestation because bed bugs can live either in any clean or dirty environment. Did you find bugs to have infested your hotel? It is a recommendation to take the immediate remedy since bedbugs experience is horrible can lead to negative reviews leading to the decline of your business.