Scorpions are creepy critters that can give a painful sting. In most cases, these stings are not life threatening, but you still do not want to experience one if possible. Luckily, there are a number of things you can do to keep them away from your home and family.
Scorpions are nocturnal, so you will likely not see them much during the day. They spend most of the daylight hours hiding in cool, sheltered areas like wood piles, under rocks, inside sheds, in burrows, under foliage or leaf litter, and under the bark of trees. Eliminating some of these common hiding spots can do a lot to control the population around your home. Try some of these tips:
- Declutter your yard so there are less hiding spots available
- Keep wood piles as far away from your home as possible and off the ground
- Keep foliage and vegetation well trimmed, and don’t let it touch the foundation
- Seal the exterior of your home by filling in cracks and gaps, ensuring that window screens are in good working order, and adding weatherstripping to doors
- Try to control insects around your home that scorpions prey upon
Get Rid of Excess Moisture
Even though scorpions often live in hot, desert climates, they still need water to survive. Moisture in your home or standing water in your yard will attract them. Control moisture issues by fixing any leaky pipes or faucets. It is also important to clean your gutters and downspouts regularly so that they do not get clogged. If your landscaping is not level and allows water to puddle and stagnate, you might also consider re-landscaping problematic areas.
Protect Yourself While Outdoors
The majority of scorpion stings occur by accident when people are gardening, moving storage boxes, or working in the yard. This is why the most common places to get stung are your lower arms and legs. Wearing some simple protection can prevent a lot of pain.
- Always wear protective shoes when you are walking outdoors
- Wear tough gloves when you are gardening
- Wear long pants if you plan to do gardening and other outdoor work
- Keep your eyes open for scorpions
Following the above mentioned tips can help to keep scorpions away from your property, but that might not be enough. Harris home pest control products can be another beneficial tool in your scorpion control arsenal. To help detect and monitor the scorpion population around your home, try Harris scorpion traps. We also make a liquid Scorpion Killer that can be used inside around baseboards and entryways and outside as a perimeter treatment. For more information, check out Scorpions: The Ultimate Guide.